Well, it's been a long time! Returned last week from nearly two months in the Cincinnati area with my daughters and their families. Before I left, I did take some pictures of Table Mountain to mark the new season and the turn of the wind from NW (bringing rain) to SE (bringing dry wind and summer heat). It was around the beginning of November that prevailing winds began to shift and come to us across Table Mountain, which lies southeast of us and about 30 miles away. Table Mountain is a weather indicator at this time of year. Clouds get pushed up and over it and roll down the mountain face, and you can judge the force of the winds by the speed with which this "table cloth" races toward the foot of the mountain. There were times, uncaptured I'm sad to say, when the whole mountain was shrouded in white. Here are two pictures from the R27, which takes us into Cape Town.
At the top right is the upper station for the cable car. The clouds in the lower photo were moving pretty fast--can't capture that with a still photo--and beginning to really pour down the mountain face.
The "Festive Season" (sometimes called the "Silly Season") passed while I was away, and kids return to school this week after their summer break, though we are just moving into full summer. It still seems weird to me to be celebrating Christmas by flocking to the beach, though the first few weeks of my Cinti stay (Thanksgiving week) were unseasonably warm--70s. Seems hard, too, to go back to school before the air turns crisp.
Our household goods finally arrived about a week before I left for Cinti, so we have our furniture around and have hung a few of our pictures and decked surfaces with photos of family. Feels a little more like home. I'm surprised, too, how comfortable our 15-year-old bed seems after the one provided by our landlord. Maybe we'll keep it after all!
No comments:
Post a Comment